Creamy ricotta pesto pasta is one of the quickest things you’ll ever make for an easy lunch or dinner.
This summer, we made a huge batch of our own homemade pesto with fresh basil and froze it in individual servings. We took some of our pesto and combined it with ricotta cheese for a super quick dinner. We used this fun shape of pasta, but you could use other shapes like spaghetti or linguine for this vegetarian dinner.
You can make your own homemade pesto, or make it easier and just buy jarred pesto (like this). You’ll want to buy the best ricotta that you can find. We recommend looking for hand-dipped, because often ricotta cheese can be grainy, and you definitely don’t want that. Fresh ricotta will make a flavorful, creamy sauce that coats the pasta well. Click here for more pasta tips and recipes.
Easy Ricotta Pesto Pasta
- ½ cup pesto, store bought or homemade
- 16 oz fresh ricotta
- 1 lb pasta, we used this shape
- Boil a large pot of salted water.
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions, but 1 minute less than directed.
- Save 1 cup of pasta water.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the ricotta, pesto, and a little bit pasta water to the pan in a lower heat. You can always add more if needed, but start with a few tablespoons - 1/4 cup.
- Stir to combine well.
- Return the pasta to the pan and combine with the sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste.