The bar program at Hotel Caesar Augustus in Capri is extremely impressive. Led by Maurizio Scott, cocktails at Hotel Caesar Augustus are focused on local herbs and flowers and incorporate produce from the hotel’s extensive gardens. Made with a yellow rose from their garden, frozen in a sphere of ice, the Austin cocktail makes a spectacular presentation. To finish, it’s sprayed with the essence of roses.
Maurizio took us on a mini-tour of his garden terrace located just outside the bar. He discussed a few of his innovative cocktails, including his Bloody Mary made with an Italian twist (using basil and olive oil). It was so refreshing, even in the afternoon. Maurizio also distills his own liquors, and offers classes where you can distill in the morning, and have a cocktail made with your own liquor in the afternoon by the double-infinity pool!
He introduced us to an amazing local gin that we had hoped to find and bring home. We didn’t have time to go search for it, so we’ll just have to go back again! He used the gin to make a lemon thyme gin and tonic, with lemon thyme freshly picked from the garden. Check out how to make his cocktail below and thank you to Hotel Caesar Augustus for hosting us.
- Several large sprigs of lemon thyme
- 1½ ounce gin
- Fever Tree Tonic Water
- Swirl the sprig of lemon thyme around the inside of a rocks glass to release the oils.
- Uncap the bottle of Fever Tree tonic water and place a sprig of lemon thyme in the tonic water while you measure the gin.
- Fill the rocks glass with ice.
- Add the gin.
- Top with tonic water and garnish with a sprig of lemon thyme.