This easy potato torta is guaranteed to become a staple in your kitchen. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner, or to make on Sunday to have lunches for the week, it uses only a few ingredients and is downright delicious. The taste is similar to biting into a hot, crisp croquette. It’s healthier than a croquette because you don’t have to fry it.
The first time we made this, we used ham and smoked mozzarella. The smoked mozzarella was overpowering, so we suggest using plain grated mozzarella instead. You can use ham or any type of salami you like. This specific torta has Calabrese salami for a bit of spice.
You can use a traditional 9″ cake pan, a deep fluted tart pan (which we used), or pretty much any other baking pan you like.
- ½ cup bread crumbs (preferably panko)
- Four large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2-3 ounces of ham or salami, cut into small pieces
- 2 cups grated mozzarella (do not use fresh mozzarella in liquid)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Prepare the baking pan by generously oiling or buttering the bottom and sides of the pan, then add the breadcrumbs to the pan and shake until the pan is coated evenly.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook until fork tender, then drain and mash with a fork or press them through a food mill.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, ham or salami, both cheeses, and a drizzle of olive oil. Combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. The seasoning should be assertive since you'll be adding four eggs,
- Add the eggs to the mixture and stir to combine. Carefully transfer the mixture into your prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. You'll know the cake is finished when it puffs in the center and is firm to the touch.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, then unmold and serve.