We love when summer squash comes into season. We usually make summer squash crostini for a simple lunch, an appetizer for a party by the grill, or a light dinner with a salad. These are super easy to make and go well with a Rosé or Sauvignon Blanc.
We usually use goat cheese, but we had delicious fresh cream cheese from Tomales Farmstead Creamery (c/o) that we used instead. We love using garlic olive oil like this. It’s delicious and makes it quick.
- 2 Summer squashes, sliced thin on a diagonal
- 1 Baguette, sliced thin on a diagonal
- 1 Lemon, zested
- Garlic olive oil
- Cheese, goat, ricotta, or fresh cream cheese
- 1 tsp Rosemary or thyme, chopped
- Warm a skillet to medium heat. Add about a 1 tsp of oil, squash, and a teaspoon of water until the squash is soft but not mushy. Add the herbs, zest, salt, and pepper and cook for a about 3 more minutes.
- Brush the bread with oil and toast until golden. Spread the cheese on each toast. Top the cheese with squash and serve.