Do you have anchovies in your pantry or refrigerator? Here’s what to do with them for cocktail hour.
There’s a little wine bar that we love in the town of Barolo. We went here for the first time with our friends Diego and Ceri after a wine tasting with the famous Maria Teresa from Bartolo Mascarello. Enoteca La Vite Turchese‘s salsa verde anchovies are the perfect little salty-peppery bite to accompany chilled Champagne. We asked the owners what they put in their sauce, so we can make it at home when whenever we’re dreaming of Italy. If you make extra salsa verde, save it to use on chicken, lamb, or fish.
Be sure to finely chop the parsley and garlic. This anchovy appetizer is perfect with bubbles, so we paired them with a bottle of Castello di Stefanago’s Ancestrale Blanc de Blancs Metodo Classico from our Bubble Box. You can order your own bottle of wine here. Serve with crackers, breadsticks, and/ or nuts and you have an easy aperitivo.
Salsa Verde Anchovies
- anchovy filets
- olive oil
- freshly cracked pepper
- Chop parsley and garlic finely. You can use a knife or food processor.
- Add enough olive oil just to almost cover to the chopped mixture, just enough to make the sauce consistency that you want.
- Add a small pinch of salt and a few cracks of fresh pepper.
- Add the anchovie filets and combine to coat each one.
- Plate the anchovies crossing each other and serve with toast, bread sticks, or nuts and drink it with something good, crisp, and bubbly.