Sweet and spicy, sticky and juicy; it is going to get messy but what’s not to love about these wings. Forget the popcorn, these are the perfect ‘movie night in’ nibbles!
Chinese Takeout in 5 by Kwoklyn Wan is available now.
Honey Glazed Chilli Wings
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) chicken wings
- 8 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tbsp runny honey
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 5 1⁄4 cups toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil
- Put all of the ingredients except the toasted sesame seeds into a large bowl. Use your hands to massage the marinade into the chicken, making sure everything is well coated. Cover and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F).
- Toss the chicken again in the marinade before tipping the wings and sauce on to a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then flip the wings over and baste in the marinade. Cook for a further 20 minutes, flip again and baste one last time. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C (400°F), then return the tray to the oven for a final 10 minutes.
- Once the marinade has achieved its sticky caramelisation, remove the wings from the oven, transfer to a serving plate, sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve piping hot.
Excerpted with permission from Chinese Takeout in 5 by Kwoklyn Wan, published by Quadrille, September 2021.