This recipe is a super easy pasta. We had a few links of sausage left in the fridge, as well as a few fresh Italian peppers, so we decided to make a quick weeknight pasta with it. You can use a spicy Italian sausage (what we had) or a sweet fennel sausage. Whatever you have will work. It’s going to be delicious! We used Orecchiette pasta, but if you don’t have that, try another small pasta like penne. You want the pasta to be a similar size to the crumbled sausage. We kept our sausage in large crumbles, similar to the size of the Orecchiette.
Click here to learn how to make handmade Orecchiette pasta from Puglia.
Italian Sausage and Pepper Orecchiette Pasta
- Sautee onions, peppers, and garlic in olive oil, then set aside.
- Brown sausage, then add the pepper mixture.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out the raw tomato taste.
- Cook orecchiette pasta in salted boiling water to al dente, a minute less than what the package directs. Save the pasta water.
- Add pasta to the sauce and as much pasta water as desired to make it as saucy as you'd like. Do a little at a time, you can always add more water.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with extra cheese on top.