Japan meets Italy in this awesome apertivo. The Toki Americano is a Japanese whiskey cocktail with the perfect balance of sweet, bitter, and savory. It’s sure to impress your most discerning guests. We came up with this magical blend of unexpected ingredients while sipping one of our favorite Italian liqueurs, Amaro Nonino.
This one is easy to remember, too. One part Japanese whisky (we suggest Suntory Toki), and half a part each of Amaro Nonino and Cocchi Americano. Add a couple of drops of Bittermens Hopped Grapefruit bitters, stir with a generous amount of ice, and you’re set. A thin lemon wheel makes a perfect garnish.
If you’re serious about building out a home bar, we suggest getting a high-quality mixing glass, like you find in the best martini bars. Complete your set with a proper stirring spoon and strainer.
- 1½ ounces Japanese whisky, such as Suntory Toki
- ¾ ounce Cocchi Americano
- ¾ ounce Amaro Nonino
- Hopped Grapefruit Bitters
- Lemon Wheel
- Combine Japanese whisky, Cocchi Americano, Amaro, and bitters in a mixing glass.
- Add a generous amount of ice and stir until well-chilled.
- Strain into a chilled coupe or martini glass and garnish with a lemon wheel.