This is guaranteed to be the silkiest and creamiest one-pot asparagus soup you could possibly make for a summer soiree. It comes to us from the French Brasserie, Baur’s, in the famed Baur au Lac Zurich hotel. It’s a decadent way to incorporate more vegetables into your life, and if you can’t find white asparagus, why not use green? It’s not as delicately flavored but would still make an impressive soup in a gorgeous shade of celadon.
Baur's Creme of Asparagus Soup
- 70 g butter
- 60 g white onions
- 40 g leek
- 15 g celery root
- 300 g asparagus ‘Cavaillon’ white
- 40 g rice flour
- 1 l vegetable stock
- 120 ml cream 35%
- 15 g salt
- Heat 40g of the butter in a saucepan.
- Chop the onion and leek, cut the celery and asparagus into small cubes.
- Add the onion, leek, celery and asparagus.
- Add salt and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice flour and steam briefly, then pour in the vegetable stock and simmer gently for about 40 minutes.
- Blend everything well and strain through a sieve.
- Finally, add the cream and the remaining butter and season to taste.
- The soup can be served with a little whipped cream.
Baur’s, Talstrasse 1 8001 Zürich +41 44 220 50 60