One reason we love Italian food is that it’s usually so simple and delicious. In Milan, we had dinner at DeRos, a fabulous restaurant close to the Bulgari Hotel, and were served the most delicious steak topped with shaved parmesan and arugula. It was simple, but the flavors were perfect!
If you can’t make the trip to Milan, you can make this at home yourself any day of the week. Start by searing a really good steak on a hot grill. Be sure to open a delicious bottle of Italian red wine! Slice the steak against the grain and top it with spinach or arugula, depending on your preference. Drizzle with good extra virgin olive oil, and top with shaved parmesan (this peeler is perfect for getting the type of wide, long shavings pictured).
If you’re looking for other ways to make a steak, check out our steakhouse dinner with all of the sides ready to go with it. The style of steak we decide to make just depends on what mood we’re in – simple and light or hearty and comforting.
- New York Strip, Hanger, or Skirt Steak, at room temperature
- Handful of arugula
- Extra virgin olive oil, for finishing
- Shaved parmesan, for finishing
- Olive Oil
- Heat a grill and season the steak on both sides with salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook your steak to the desired doneness (we prefer medium rare).
- Remove the steak from the heat and let rest 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the cooked steak across the grain at an angle into ½ inch wide strips. Arrange the slices on a plate, keeping the pieces arranged in the same shape as it was before it was sliced.
- Top with fresh arugula, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil to finish.
- Using (our favorite peeler), add long shavings of parmesan to the top of the greens.
- Serve with a good bottle of red wine and enjoy.