We’ve been watching one of our favorite Italian chefs, Massimo Bottura and his family, who started an Instagram Live series called Kitchen Quarantine cooking from their home. It’s entertaining and educational. Bottura made his friend, Jean Francois Piege’s orange cake recipe for dessert this week. He topped it with vanilla whipped cream, blueberries, and strawberries.
We decided to try it ourselves. It’s super simple and smells fantastic. We didn’t have fresh berries on hand, so we topped ours with strawberry syrup and sour cream (with a little confectioners sugar mixed in). It’s also delicious by itself with a cup of coffee. If you have Campari, try topping it with the Campari syrup from our Campari cake recipe.
Simple Orange Cake
- 120 g butter, unsalted and softened
- 120 g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 orange , (juice and zest)
- 120 g flour
- 8 g baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a cake pan with butter.
- Mix the butter and sugar until whipped.
- Add eggs, zest, and orange juice.
- Mix flour and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture.
- Pour into the cake pan (recommends keeping the height under 2cm). Bake for 15-20 minutes.